Heart of Chocolate2012 October 04 | Words by Samantha Jones |
9 Things You Might Not Know…
1.The word “chocolate” comes from the Aztec work, “cacahuatl” or “xocolatl”, which means “bitter water”.
2. Chocolate is extracted from Cocoa Beans, of which the average consumption is around 600’000 tons per year.
3. Consumers spend more than $20 billion annually on chocolate with chocolate manufacturers using around 40% of the world’s almonds and around 20% of the world’s peanuts.
4. Chocolate produces the effects of a mild anti-depressant by increasing serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain.
5. It has great health benefits and can help with depression, high blood pressure, tumors and pre-menstrual syndromes.
6. Chocolate is a valuable energy source, with a single chocolate chip able to provide enough energy for an adult human to walk 150 ft.
7. Dark chocolate has the highest percentage of cocoa and thus the most health benefits, with the percentage of cocoa determining quality.
8. Chocolate has over 500 flavour components. This is double the amount found in strawberry and vanilla.
9. Chocolate will literally melt in your mouth, with its melting point just below body temperature.