Choctastic Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Recipe!2012 March 20 | Words by Samantha Jones |
This delicious Chocolate Hot Cross Bun recipe is great for kids who don’t enjoy the more adult, spiced taste of the traditional Hot Cross Buns – or simply for the chocoholics out there who will use any excuse to choc things up – particularly at Easter! A double-chocolate concoction of cocoa and real chocolate chips – this recipe is guaranteed to appease your sweet tooth!
Chocolate Hot Cross BunMarch 20, 2012
- 2 teaspoons of dry yeast
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 4 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 60 grams butter, chilled and chopped
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 cup of dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of gelatine
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- Butter, to serve
- Grease a square cake pan (8cm deep by 23cm long).
- Whisk yeast, milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a bowl then cover and set aside in a warm place for ten minutes (or until mixture has foamed).
- Sift cocoa and flour into a bowl and rub in butter until the mixture takes on a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Making a hole in the centre, add in yeast mixture, egg and remaining sugar, stirring to combine.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for one minute before transferring to a lightly oiled bowl, covering and setting aside in a warm place for one hour or until mixture has doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a floured surface, kneading for five minutes or until smooth.
- Add chocolate bits and knead to combine.
- Separate dough into 16 rolled balls and place in prepared pan.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until slightly risen and pre-heat the oven to 200 degree (or 180 for fan-forced) celsius oven.
- Combine flour, sugar and 2 and a 1/2 tablespoons of cold water in a bowl to make the paste.
- Spoon the paste into a snap-lock bag, snip one corner off and pipe a cross onto the buns. Place buns in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat of the oven to 180 degrees (or 160 for fan-forced ovens) and cook for a further 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- While buns are baking, sprinkle gelatine over boiling water in a heatproof jug and stir with a fork until gelatine has dissolved.
- Once your Chocolate Hot Cross Buns are cooked, place top-side up on a wire rack and brush with gelatine mixture.
- Allow to cool and serve with butter.