Coffee Lovers Unite!2012 September 28 | Words by Samantha Jones |
- Coffee is the second most consumed beverage after water.
- It is the second most traded commodity on the planet after petroleum.
- The largest coffee-producing nation in the world is Brazil, who are responsible for 30-40% of total world output.
- More than fifty countries grow coffee worldwide, all of which lie along the equator between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn – or the “Bean Belt” as it is known.
- Of the various botanical coffee tree species in the world, only two are extensively cultivated commercially – Arabica and Robusta.
- It takes five years for a coffee tree to reach maturity.
- Over 500 billion cups of coffee are drunk every year, half of which are at breakfast.
- Australians consume 60% more coffee than tea, a six-fold increase since 1940.
- Light coloured coffee beans have a higher level of caffeine than their darker counterparts.